Friday, April 16, 2010

African American Civil War Memorial

I always wondered about the history behind this memorial and I was positive that a lot of young people didn't really know the significane of this memorial. Therefore, I was promted to do an article on it.

It wasn't too difficult to get people to comment on this memorial site becasue this is statue is located directly across from the entrance/exit of the metro station. Although, many of the people that I attempted to interview were in a rush, I did manage to get people to stop and talk to me for a couple of minutes. I decided not to use every person who I talked to about the memorial because in my opinion they didn't have a lot of valuable comments.

But I did have a lot of fun writing this piece. I was able to stand around outside and enjoy the weather.

I would like to add that I had a hard time concentrating on my assignment because the weather was so nice but I managed to get everything accomplished.

I did have a hard time getting in contact with the founder of the museum, which is roughly two or three blocks down U street. The museum is very much hidden amongst the surrounding bars and restaurants but it holds a lot of historical pieces that have been donated and/or purchased.

While doing this story, I was able to learn a lot of the background information on the statue and the museum. I also learned that at the end of this year the museum will be re-locating to a much larger location, where they will have the ability to display more artifacts and where they can further educate the surrounding community.

No comments:

Post a Comment