Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Darnell's Mocha Lounge


I randomly stumbled upon this story. I was walking to the U street metro station and I was stopped by a random man who said he was the owner of Darnell's Mocha Lounge. His name is Darnell Perkins. Perkins was very energetic when he introduced himself and immediately got my attention.


For some years now, I had passed by the boarded up row house where there was once a thriving coffee shop, called the Mocha Lounge on 9th and Florida Ave.

As I began talking with the new owner, Darnell, he brought me in and told me about his vision and what he plans to do with this establishment. I was welcomed by the cozy envoirnment and the marvelous paintings on the inside. He gave me a complete tour of the lounge.

As soon as I entered I felt like I was at home and that was what Darnell strives to do when his customers enter. He has a lot of great ideas and it made my story very colorful.

I was invited to come back on Thursday for a live jazz performance, by Johnny Steele, a local artist. Steele played mainly old school music from the 60's, 70's and early 80's. I was a litlle out of my element but I was able to adjust. I feel as though I got very good interviews. I wish I could have gotten more but I was on a time schedule and couldn't do as much as I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment