Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The New Freedman's Clinc




I began by brainstorming story ideas but, I couldn't come up with anything. I was referred by a professor to contact the director of communications at Howard University and I did.

At first, I emailed Mr. Ron Harris who is the director of communications at Howard University. He didn't quite understand my question or what I needed and he allowed me to come meet with him in his office. About 15 minutes later I was in his office and that was when he actually told me about the Freedman's clinic and how it would be an excellent story to cover. He mentioned that most Howard University students wouldn't know anything about the clinc.

It is really intertesting because earlier in the year, I rode in a cab with a driver who was talking about a free clinic at HUH that his daughter who was in medical school at Howard University had started and how she was in Oprah's 'O' magazine, talking about the sucess of the clinic. I should have taken notes during that conversation becasue it could have given me a different angle. I remember him saying her name was Roalat Adulai. Too, bad I really didn't pay attention.

The questions that I asked the medical students really allowed me structure my story. I was able to get a lot of different prospectives. I was very fortunate to get an interview with the acting supervisor, Dr. Charles Mouton, because I was told by his assistant that I wouldn't be able to get an interview with him because his schedule was so hectic.

No comments:

Post a Comment