Wednesday, April 14, 2010

ANC- 1 B meeting

I really enjoyed attending the ANC -1B that was scheduled in March. I have never been to a community meeting ever in my life. Not even in my hometown of San Francisco. I really learned a lot about the ward that I am covering when I sat in at the meeting.

I felt like I was a part of ward 1, the council members and the residents present made me feel really comfortable. I was nervous at first because I didn't know how the meeting was going to be ran. But I got over my fears and everything went smoothly.

For the majority of the meeting I sat down quietly listening to everyone speak. There were quite a few presenters and there was minimal interaction with the audience until the close of the meeting. That was when the residents could voice their concerns.

There were some confusing among the ANC board members on a few presentations. Some people were confused with protocol and it was really tacky. I feel as if I might have been the only one to notice this. Maybe not but I think it needs to be improved. How can a community trust a organization that was created to be the voice of the community when the right rules and guidelines are followed consistently. I don't want to attack the board members but there could have been a lot more organization.

All in all, I enjoyed the meeting. I found out about a lot of good information and I think that I was able to use one or two of the story ideas, or at least propose them.

The meeting began at 7pm and ended around 9pm. It was held in the Reeves building on 13Th and U street. These meetings are held every month at the same location, unless otherwise specified.

No comments:

Post a Comment