Friday, April 16, 2010

My experience at Eatonville

I wanted to do a story on a restaurant but I didn't know exactly which one I wanted to do. I didn't want to be cliche and replicate a story about Ben's Chili Bowl or Florida Avenue Grill, although those two restaurants are directly in my beat. So, I decided to walk around the area and I just so happened to stumble upon this southern-inspired restaurant.

When I went there I was amazed at how the inside was meticulously decorated. It seemed like everything had a story. There were murals covering every inch of the walls which contributed to the aura of the room.

Something that sparked my attention was that the beverages are served in mason glasses and not ordinary glass cups. This place allows you to experience what a meal would be like in the South. The food was very delicious, because I'm not from the South I really don't know the difference of "real" southern food from "imitation" southern food, it tastes all the same to me.

I did like how every month there is a themed dinner that focuses on Food and storytelling. And there is a guest speaker who either reads to the customers or they discuss an important topic. I really enjoyed myself here and I would recommend that every African American woman attends at least one monthly dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment